Can police stop a hoarding husband?

Sgt. Chris Yagelski

Q: I got troubles! My husband is now retired, and he is hoarding things in our yard, home and garage! He “patrols” alleys and garbage dumpsters and just about everything he finds comes home with him. Is there any way that I can get him to stop and remove this stuff?

A: Sorry, there is no legal way to make a competent adult change his or her behavior. If your husband wants to hoard, he can hoard. Alternately, you can consult a variety of resources, perhaps a psychologist or other family members. The City Code Inspector may help with City Ordinance violations or the La Porte County Health Department if your home is in such shape to be a health concern. It is never easy to compel men to get rid of their “stuff.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.