Ask a Cop: When will you arrest my ex-boyfriend?

Sgt. Chris Yagelski

Q: I filed a police report for theft against my ex-boyfriend who took property from my apartment. The officer stated that he filed the case with the Prosecutor, but how long does it take for him to be arrested? Is it just up to the Prosecutor?

A: A person is not automatically arrested just because you make a complaint. There are several steps involved in making a criminal case and arrest. The La Porte County Prosecutor’s office after a thorough investigation or based on facts of the case report filed by the officer, authorizes a criminal complaint and presents it to a judge. The court (presiding Judge) then determines if there is enough probable cause and issues an arrest warrant. The police then receive the warrant from the court and have the responsibility to find and arrest the defendant.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.