Can I serve wine at my hair salon?

Sgt. Chris Yagelski

Q: I own an upscale hair salon here in Michigan City and I would love to provide wine to my customers during their appointments. How would I go about doing this? Can the police chief just give us permission?

A: Sorry. Not as easy as you think. To serve alcohol, you must obtain a restaurant permit through the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission. To apply for a permit to consume alcoholic beverages by the drink, you are required to have accommodations and food service available at all times for a minimum of 25 people. Minimum food service required consists of hot soups, hot sandwiches, coffee, milk and soft drinks.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.