Can you arrest my cheating wife?

Sgt. Chris Yagelski

Q: My wife is a cheater! I recently have found out that she has been seeing her boss secretly behind my back for over a year. I am going to confront her and kick her out of the house this weekend, but my question is, can I file criminal charges of “adultery” on either one of them besides filing for divorce?

A: Wow, I am very sorry, but no, you cannot file criminal charges for cheating. Adultery laws were removed from Indiana law back in 1976. In divorce proceedings judges cannot use adultery or infidelity as the only basis for divorce, however they can consider the financial impact a partner who cheats on their spouse may have.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.