Remember When

Haskell & Barker Car Company is shown with Michigan City in the background. Haskell & Barker began in 1852 as Sherman, Haskell & Company. In 1855, John H. Barker Jr. bought into the business and it was incorporated in 1871 as the Haskell & Barker Car Company. The company flourished under Barker. At his death in 1910, 3,500 men were employed and production was 10,000 cars a year. By 1920, the plant occupied 116 acres with 34 buildings. Pullman purchased the company in 1922, closing it in 1971.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.