Election 2024 DeSantis Book Bans
- Jim Rassol - freelancer, FR171669 AP
As featured on
Presidential hopeful DeSantis inspires push to make book bans easier in Republican-controlled states
As he vies for the Republican presidential nomination, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is touting a series of measures he has pushed that have led to an upswing in banned or restricted books — not just in Florida schools but in an increasing number of other conservative states. Florida last year became the first in a wave of red states to enact laws making it easier for parents to challenge books in school libraries they deem to be pornographic, deal improperly with racial issues or in other ways be inappropriate. DeSantis insists books aren’t actually being “banned” in his state’s schools, preferring to call the forced removal of some books “curation choices."
Post a comment as anonymous
Watch this discussion. Stop watching this discussion.
- Former New Prairie athletic and academic standout dies after crashing into tree near Mill Creek
- La Porte woman killed in crash on U.S. 20 in Porter
- Louie's Cafe to close its doors after 45-plus years of serving La Porte residents
- JIM PETERS: New Prairie staff recalls Braydon Flagg's impact on and off the court and field
- Fire that injured two in Michigan City mobile home park being investigated as arson
- Five retired teachers added to Michigan City Area Schools' Wall of Fame
- La Porte High School announces Troy and Verma as tops academically in Class of 2023
- Pinball enthusiasts converge on La Porte's Full Tilt for IFPA tournament
- Michigan City paralegal Christine Nichols honored for her dedication to law
- Scanner catches man trying to smuggle scissors into La Porte County Jail in body cavity
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular commented articles.
Don Briggs said:Mrozinski's right. We have a highly qualified HR Director. She is community-based. She's been doing an outstanding job. This is an example of …
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.